Saturday, March 20, 2010

Running and more running

Sorry - this blog must be pretty boring for those of you who aren't into running.  Bearing in mind that 18 months ago I couldn't run more than 1 minute at a time.  Anyway after registering to do the Mother's Day Classic and reading up on training for such an event - it appears we should actually be running three days a week (not two as we have been).  That's OK at the moment as my gym is closed.  So that is what I have been doing.

My training partner returned from her travels briefly and we managed to fit in a mid week run.  I had forgotten I was supposed to measure a run from her place so we just took off and decided to run to a spot we both knew which turned out to be closer to 8kms than 7kms.  (I checked it on MapMyRun after the run.)  So at least we know we can do the distance.  There were a couple of hills involved but there won't be on the Mother's Day.  I did the almost 8kms in 71 minutes (521 cals) - quite slow but I did get lost finding my way back so I was actually walking at one stage.

Anyway I decided to try another 5kms yesterday (Friday) to see how my time was going.   I have just finished reading a book by a Marathon runner, Jeff Galloway, and thought I would try to put some of his strategies (re running faster) in place.   Unfortunately, although the weather was cool (and drizzling at some points) it was quite windy and I didn't manage to beat my fastest time.  Will have to try again next week.  In the meantime I will read the book again (it is a library book and needs to go back).  Some of the info is quite technical and as he is in the US all measurements are in miles and pounds but still has some helpful info in there.  Anyway the Friday run stats = 5kms took 44mins10secs Ave HR 147 Max 158.

No comments: