Thursday, June 3, 2010

Running Style to blame for my lack of speed

I was chatting to my PT this morning about my inability to up my speed.  So he put me on his treadmill and watched the way I walked and then ran.  Apparently I run (and I knew this anyway) with my heel hitting the ground first.  This can apparently shorten my stride and consequently slow me down.  He is not suggesting I try and alter the way I run this close to the event.  But I could do some of the run using the new method.  Even if I gain just a minute or two I would be happy.  So something to work on between now and early July.  I also believe (and he agrees) that I am not using my full lung capacity.  It has only been three years since I gave up those nasty ciggies so there still could be some residual damage causing some restriction.  Anyway I will definitely try some little spurts running on my toes (or toes hitting ground first) and see what happens.

PS.  I manage to lose the kg I put on recently.  Let's hope the scales keep moving downwards. 

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Good Luck with the new style Linda. It is interesting that he has said to alter your style to toe/heel. All the articles I have read endorse the heel/toe for distance. Let me know how you go, I am really interested to know.

Linda50 said...

Yes, I don't think I will be changing anything too much. My other foot is now telling me it didn't like what I did this morning. So I will just continue on as I have been.